New Bedford Trivia:
- The history of New Bedford pre-dates the Pilgrims of Plymouth by 18 years when it was explored by English explorer Bartholomew Gosnold.
- Nicknamed "The Whaling City" because it was, during the 19th century, one of the most important whaling ports in the world.
- New Bedford is the home of the New Bedford Whaling Museum, the country's largest museum on the subject of whaling and the history of interaction between humans and whales.
- Brockton is known as the "City of Champions" because it is home to two of Boxing’s “World Champions,” Rocky Marciano and Marvelous Marvin Hagler.
- Brockton was named one of the 100 Best Communities for Young People in the United States in 2005, 2008 and 2010 by America's Promise Alliance.
- During the Civil War, Brockton was the nation's largest producer of shoes.
- Brockton is the home of the Brockton Rox, a minor league baseball team.
- Thomas Edison built the first model of a complete central power station in Brockton.